Monday, December 13, 2021

Introducing John

 Find below the introduction to my book on John coming in 2022. As we begin a new cycle of preaching John, I will be posting snippets of my book that apply to the coming preaching topic. My hope is that my colleagues in ministry may find something useful or inspiring among the words I push about on the page. Cheers!

---------------------------------

Introduction

      John is not my favorite Gospel. I know, I know ... this is the Gospel that has “John 3:16”, the story of the water turning into wine, the encounter with the Samaritan woman, all the “I am” statements and much more. But, John as Gospel generally had not ‘worked’ for me. I mean, there is too much dialogue and too little action.

      So, I probably have had an affinity for the Gospels, from greatest to least, in this order: Luke, Matthew, Mark, and finally John. Yes, John is in last place.

Perhaps it is because we also find in John those “hard sayings” of Jesus that leave me feeling a little 'meh' (to say the least). Like that of 'eating his flesh' in John 6; And what about his seemingly endless speeches included in John 12-17? I don't know, maybe I simply like a good narrative, and John simply lacks a lot of narratives and stories while Matthew, Mark and Luke include them in spades. John doesn't even have a good story of the birth or baptism of Jesus! What's up with that?

      In any case, the year 2018 arrived, and I was following the “Narrative Lectionary[1]” in my preaching at that time. From the moment the cycle had started in the fall of 2017, I knew that John was on the horizon, and I honestly did not want to preach through that Gospel. But having to preach to John was a good thing. Let me explain.

      One of the benefits of following a lectionary (i.e. : 'a reading list for the church year'[2]) is that it “forces” preachers away from their favorite passages. John is not a Gospel that I have often preached from or about. But because I was following the Narrative Lectionary (many others in my tradition follow the Revised Common Lectionary), I was now faced with having to preach something that I was not comfortable with or very enthusiastic about.

      But this is good!

      I need to be pulled out of my comfort zone from time to time and face the challenge of preaching something that is not easy for me. A lectionary often forces us preachers to grapple with something we prefer to postpone or avoid. So now I was facing the ‘Gospel of the year.’ I would fight with John; I would endeavor to “suck the marrow” out of the bones in this book ... even if only reluctantly.

      I was also just starting to become a bit excited to preach this Gospel. Just before this time arrived in the lectionary season, I was reading J. Philip Newell's book, Listening to the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirituality (Paulist Press)[3], in which the author indicates over and over again that John is the Gospel of the Celts (or those seeking a Celtic worldview). I should mention here that my roots are from Scotland, and I have an interest in all things Celtic. Well, Newell argues that John is more in tune with the God who speaks through nature, the God who is for everyone, and I was excited to see if I could find traces of the ideas Newell put forth. This gave me a little more interest as I dove into my studies and sermon preparation.

      Also, as an exercise that I did not normally practice, I prepared the sermons by writing entire manuscripts before preaching them (I usually prepare only an outline). This collection of essays that follows arises from that process of search, study, writing, preaching, and reflection. The essays that form the following chapters are now far more than the sermons I preached some years ago—in many cases, the layout has been re-ordered, new examples have been brought in, and new ideas that have come along since have been woven into the fabric of thought.

      Allow me to be very clear here as to the purpose and structure of the pieces in this work: I simply want to share what I found, what I discovered in my studies, the things that God revealed to me in this process, those things that were new or surprising to me. And, I present them as essays for the reader's reflection and as fuel for their devotional fires. Perhaps my thoughts may even contribute to some pastor’s future sermons or to a teacher’s future lectures. I hope my ideas may be useful and helpful to those who love John ... or who want to know more about this Gospel.

      At the beginning of this great effort, I was clearly in the second of these two groups—I just wanted to know more, to see if there was anything salvageable. I really hoped that studying, reading, and preaching through the Gospel would give me an understanding, an appreciation and, yes, a completely new love for the Gospel of John.

      I’ll let you know it went. Let's get started....



[1] The Narrative Lectionary serves as an alternative to the Revised Common Lectionary, and in addition it provides a more contiguous narrative of Scripture, something many find desperately necessary in an increasingly biblical-illiterate culture, even within the Church.

See more here: http://www.workingpreacher.org/narrative_faqs.aspx

[2] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lectionary

[3] Philip Newell. Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirituality. New York, Paulist Press, 1997.

 



Jon A Herrin (Th.D.) is a pastor, teacher, and author living and serving in S. Texas on the US/Mexico border. He is author of Making Sense of It All: Reflection on the Ancient Narratives of Genesis and A Journey through Suffering: A New Reading of Job in the 21st Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment